Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Thursday, May 14, 2009

PvP on Trek

A great comic, and a great blog entry. I didn't get teary at the end, but I did get total chills when Spock intoned "Space, the final frontier...."
My father introduced me to Star Trek. We used to watch the original series whenever it came on.

One of my favorite memories of watching the show with my dad might be a little bit embarrassing for him. But I’m going to share it with you anyway.

One time, my dad cried at an episode of Star Trek. It wasn’t any special episode either. It was probably one he had seen a million times before and never cried at. It ended like every episode of Star Trek ended, with Kirk and Bones laughing at Spocks inability to understand their illogical emotions. Over the credits, Kirk gives Spock a sharp slap to the arm and my dad laughed out loud. Then he paused and he got a bit overwhelmed. He got misty. Happy misty. Sentimental misty.

When I asked him why he was tearing up, he simply smiled at me and replied. “Because they’re friends.”

And I remember my mother coming in and doting on him and finding it endearing that he cared so deeply for fictional characters.

You’re going to hear a lot about this new Trek. People are going to talk about the action, effects and the casting. They’re going to even talk about how careful the film-makers were to weave this new series into existing Trek continuity. Those are all great reasons to see Star Trek. Make no mistake though, the reason you’ll love this movie is the same reason my dad loved the original. “Because they’re friends.”

I got a teared up a little at the end of Star Trek. They got me by using the original theme music in the ending credits. My dad was there with us to see the movie. It felt good. It felt like home.

I can assure you… this is most definitely my father’s Star Trek.


Click to embiggen

No comments: